22 Questions to ask your Neurologist
According to a large-scale review, patients ranked Neurologists among the worst physicians.
From my own personal experience, only one neurologist out of several was actually helpful. The rest were difficult to work with.
I believe the problem is that a migraine is too complex for a neurologist to diagnose and therefore we place blame on the doctor, not the system in which they operate in.
Finding the right doctor is a lot like dating. You may have to go on a few dates to feel it out, but the only true way to get to know someone is by their actions in their core environment and the answers to your questions.
Ask the key questions and observe the neurologist. If he/she does not mesh well with your goals, then feel no obligation to stay.
These were the questions that helped me work with my doctors to ultimately find the best approach to care that helped me create a migraine-free life. I hope that it does the same for you.
- What is your motto? – (Good for first time visits)
- What do you believe causes migraine headaches?
- What type of approach do you take to diagnosing headaches?
- Have you seen any clear differences between migraine and headache?
- Of my symptoms, what type of headache do you suggest I have?
- If my headaches go beyond your scope of practice, what do you suggest I do?
- What do you believe is causing my headaches?
- Do I have a medical condition that may be linked to my migraines?
- Why are you prescribing this medication?
- What do you recommend if I do not want medication?
- What are the side effects of the medication?
- Why are you recommending the treatment?
- Are there any other alternatives?
- What does the research suggest?
- Where have your other patients seen results?
- Have you seen any connection between diet and my headache type?
- What are the side effects of the treatment?
- Since migraines are linked to magnesium, should I be tested for magnesium deficiency?
- Do you believe in functional approaches to health?
- Do you work closely with any dieticians, biofeedback, acupuncturists, or any healers?
- Of my symptoms, which functional treatment would work best for me?
- What type of blood tests should I receive?
If there are any other questions that you have please share to further the discussion and help create a better path of care.