Toxic Ingredients in Your Supplements
Have you ever thought about the ingredients in your supplements? Could there be something in those supposedly healthy supplement bottles that could be contributing to inflammation or the onset of a headache? Or worse yet, a full-blown migraine?
It turns out that many companies use fillers and additives in their supplements that can be harmful to your health.
Let’s look at some of the common ingredients in today’s most popular supplements for both men and women.
- Glucose syrup – This is sugar, and it commonly comes from corn (in many cases, GMO corn). [1,2]
- Sucrose – Sucrose is also sugar and is the second listed ingredient on most of the brands I looked at. [1,2]
- Maltodextrin – This generally comes from GMO corn and is also sugar. 
- Carnauba wax – This ingredient is native to the Brazil rainforests. It is produced as a by-product of palm oil harvest. It is used quite a bit in the food service industry as a glaze put on some ‘foods.’ Think the shininess of a gummy bear or the wax on commercially grown fruits and vegetables.. It is also used extensively in the car wax brand Turtle Wax. Do you want to eat the same thing you put on your car? It turns out that quite a bit of research has been done that suggests that many people have an allergic reaction to the wax. 
- Food Dyes – These are known for being cancer-causing agents, and they have been linked to numerous other health issues including (but not limited to) diarrhea, kidney tumors, gastric upset, vomiting, migraines, and hyperactivity in children. [5,6]. The United Kingdom bans many of the same food dyes that the United States still allows for consumption. Chemicals are big business.
I don’t want to discourage you from taking supplements and/or vitamins, because I feel we really do need them. We live in a world where our food comes to us with fewer and fewer nutrients because of the depletion of the soil and the constant growing of mono-crops.  Many of us also refuse to eat certain foods, and there is the issue of cross-contamination with known allergens.
All these reasons and more make it so that many of us need help getting more of the nutrients our bodies need to stay healthy. We aren’t necessarily getting enough from our diets, so we must turn to supplements.
How can you protect yourself from harmful supplement ingredients, especially if you are suffering from health issues of any kind?
Follow these tips:
- Choose bio-available vitamins and not synthetic ones.
- Look for wild-caught fish oils that have been double and triple tested.
- Don’t choose price savings over quality. Price will play a huge role here, as you will likely get what you pay for.
- Read your labels. This is just as important in supplements as it is in the foods you eat.
- Check known and trusted sources if you don’t understand an ingredient. Dr. Axe is a great resource.
High-quality supplements that use clean ingredients and are free of harmful ones can be very helpful in your healing.
Before starting any new supplement, be sure to check with your physician to ensure none of your supplements will negatively react with any prescription medications you might be taking.
And always do your best to get good quality nutrition daily to reduce your need for supplementation.
In closing, I would like to add that supplements are not meant to be taken forever, so don’t be afraid to re-evaluate from time to time to see if certain supplements are still needed in your life.